This post was actually completed earlier this week, but had to be postponed due to all of the celebrity passings I wrote about.
Finally, now is the time for this post to see the light of day.
I have absolutely no problem with sending in my ballot for November elections.
I think it is safe, it is trustworthy, and it is something I have participated in for the past few years, ever since I hurt my leg, which made it difficult to get to the polls.
But a lot of people don't trust it, claim that it is open to widespread fraud, and are trying to obliterate it, or at the very least, lessen its use.
One of those people is President Trump, who has been against mail-in voting since ...
Well, the times that he has used it himself.
The Supreme Court on Monday lifted an injunction that had blocked parts of Trump’s March executive order that sought to tighten federal oversight of mail-in voting, granting Trump a legal victory.
Again, I have no problem with voting by mail.
Perhaps I had a problem when it was first instituted for those other than service members and Americans living overseas, but I don't have a problem now.
Look, the cat is out of the bag, and it isn't going back in that bag.
Not every American can get to the polling place to do their voting, and this makes it easy to vote, allowing all Americans to participate.
And I admit, the reason I, and my family, continues to decide to vote this way is that it is simply more convenient for us.
Period.
There is no other reason.
I do understand the President's hesitancy in all of this.
There is definite voter fraud each Election Day, including ballots made out by non-citizens.
But I believe there has always been voter fraud, even in the days when there was only one choice in the way one could vote, and that was at the polling place.
However, I don't believe it is as rampant as the President says it is, and I don't think it was a factor in his losing the Presidential election a few years back.
One way to ensure that elections are 1,000-percent valid is proof of citizenship--whether at the polling place or via mail--and why this is even an issue is beyond me.
You have to show your identification at so many different places now--everywhere from the pharmacy to the doctor to Walmart--that I see no problem with showing my ID at the polling place, or furnishing it to officials via the mail.
Why some of us don't feel this is necessary--and an abridgment of our rights--is beyond my comprehension--
Although it really isn't.
Every vote counted is cherished by some people in our country, but some people are now cherishing votes made illegally, and that is just plain wrong.
Look, illegal votes are going to get through, no matter what precautions are placed on voting.
I told you some time back of a situation where I literally could have voted twice for President, but I decided not to break the law and held back from doing something illegal and against everything I believe in.
But going back to mail-in ballots, my family and I will do it again, if it is still made available to us as a way to vote.
My mother, in her last months of life, made it to the polling place, and I feel that most Americans can do the same.
But I will continue to vote by mail, because it is simply easier for me to do.
You can call me lazy if you like, and perhaps I am, but I have no doubt in the system, in the process, and once you vote by mail, you won't go back to the other way of voting, if you can help it.
You can cast my vote for mail-in voting, this November and every time in the future.
Have a great weekend, and I will speak to you again on Monday.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.