Labor Day was a "labor," what can I tell you.
Things are supposed to slow down that day, but for me, they revved up.
I decided to visit the cemetery where my parents are buried.
I, personally, had not been there in quite a while, but I decided to go on Labor Day because my father died on Labor Day, the same exact September 7 in 2020, when he passed, that Labor Day was on this year.
So I figured that I would visit both of their graves--they are not buried together, as this is an Orthodox Jewish cemetery, and men and women are buried separately--one, and then the other, just a few steps away from each other.
Admittedly, although I had a map of the place, it was still difficult for me to find the graves, but through trial and error, I finally found them, to my relief.
I found my father's grave first, and I have to tell you, it looked pretty spiffy.
It was taken care of with perpetual care, and everything was neat and tidy.
I said what I had to say, put a rock on top of the gravestone to signify that I had visited, and moved on to my mom's grave.
During her burial service, I am about 99.9 percent sure that we asked the cemetery for perpetual care for her site, but since we never received a bill from them for this service, I had a sneaking suspicion that our wishes were never applied--
And to my dismay, they weren't.
The site was full of weeds, and while the stone was immaculate--she passed away on Sept. 5, 2023, so it is only a few years back--the plot where it sits was awful.
I said what I had to say, put a stone on top of the gravestone to signify that I was there, and I left, to go to the cemetery office--
Which I found out was closed, at least when I was there, as again, it was Labor Day, a national holiday.
So I vowed to call them today--which I will do when the office opens at 9 a.m.--and get this thing figured out.
Look, when we buried my mother, the day was obviously an emotional one, and the unveiling of the stone some time later was also very emotional.
Perhaps things didn't get done that should have been done, but I am pretty sure that we did ask for perpetual care for my mom's site.
I believe my mother, when she still was cognizant before her mind went, might have paid for "forever" perpetual care for my father's grave, as we have never received a bill for that either, and his site looked very well kept.
But for my mother ...
I even remember talking to my brother in law about this, and we said we would alternate the payments, he paying one bill, me paying the next bill, and on and on into perpetuity.
But we never received a bill, so we were each at fault for not following up on this until now.
I could make every excuse in the world, but I won't--
We dropped the ball on this, and the results were disturbing.
There is no moral to this story ...
Just that when a loved one like a parent passes, the survivors have to keep up on things like this, and quite frankly, we simply didn't.
But at least now, we will start to take care of it, giving my mother the proper burial site that she deserves.
As the song goes, "Sorry seems to be the hardest word," but all I can say to my mom and dad after visiting them yesterday is--
"SORRY."

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.