Nothing to do with the holiday itself, but with the fact that my father died on the holiday a few years back--yes, on September 7, 2020--and my mother passed away a few years later around the same time.
Much less in my mind in 2026 is that for many years when I was working full-time, I worked on Labor Day, and honestly, it was just so unnecessary.
Those feelings have dissipated over time, as I am almost at the seven-year mark for when I lost my job on October 10 when the company I worked for went out of business right before the pandemic.
Things have been very difficult for myself and my family since then, and it isn't getting better anytime soon, but that really has nothing to do with Labor Day.
Compound all of this with the Jewish High Holy Days, which are right around the bend.
Ironically, Rosh Hashanah begins at sundown on September 11, and this year, that day takes on added significance, as it is the 25th anniversary of the 9-11 terrorist attacks.
So, at least for me, this is a pretty somber period, and again, it has absolutely nothing to do with Labor Day per se.
Labor Day honors the American labor movement and is a federal holiday in the United States.
It is really a joyous occasion, and since it is a federal holiday, most people, ironically, have the day off from their normal work labors.
People go to ballgames, have fireworks, there are barbecues and family get togethers.
And Labor Day is also the unofficial end of summer, although it actually ends about two weeks later.
For me, I will hand in some work that day, although the federal government--and the association I work for--will be closed to honor the holiday.
I will probably write up and edit some work for them, so I have it handy when everything gets back to normal the next day.
There won't be any family gatherings or anything like that, at least with my family.
Both my son and wife have to work that day, so if I have a barbecue, it will be mainly for myself, although I could heat up some things for them as they arrive home from work.
But otherwise, it will be just another day for me, really nothing more or less than that.
However, I am going to take the day off from writing here at the Blog, so it feels like the holiday it really is.
But more importantly, it will give me time to think about my parents, and think about my future good health.
I will rev it up again on Tuesday.
So enjoy yourself on the holiday, have a great weekend, and I will speak to you again on Tuesday.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.